Web UI Error upon launch in Firefox

Hi there - thanks for an awesome new tool!

Possibly silly error here - I’ve just installed Prodigy on a shared Ubuntu 14.04.3 machine for our team, but I get a message “Error.” in the web UI whenever I navigate to the declared port through Firefox - see screenshot:

Prodigy Error

The web app indicates that it launches successfully from the first ner.teach call on the downloaded sample data set:

~$ prodigy ner.teach my_set en_core_web_sm news_headlines.jsonl

✨ Starting the web server at http://localhost:8085 ...

Open the app in your browser and start annotating!

I’ve searched for logs, but can’t seem to find anything informative. Do you have any suggestions here?

Thanks again - really excited to use the tool!

Interesting – which version of Firefox are you using? And just to confirm, there’s no error on the command line, right?

For the beta, I haven’t done much in-depth optimisation to support older versions and their quirks (although the app should have been compiled reasonably well from ES6 to ES5 – the only aspect that’s currently not covered are CSS variables aka. custom properties, but support for that is pretty well established). However, the fact that the theme isn’t rendered properly strongly indicates that this is a problem with the web app.

Anyways, I’m pretty confident we’ll be able to sort this out. Thanks for testing Prodigy and sorry about this issue!

Sorry for the late response here - been working with our server team on an OS upgrade. Anyway, we got the latest version of Firefox running, and now it works perfectly!

Thanks and no worries – glad you got it working!

Quick update on this: Even though it’s always recommended to use the latest browser versions for various reasons, we’ve always had the vision to make the Prodigy app support a variety of older desktop and mobile versions as well. This is pretty feasible, even for a modern web application like this. Not everyone has access to the latest computers and operating systems, and in many places, people still primarily use old Android mobile devices. We’d love to make Prodigy work even for projects with very limited resources. This is especially relevant for the annotators who’ll mostly be interacting with the web application.

Over the past few days, I’ve been refactoring the front-end with that vision in mind, and the current version I’m working on already performs reliably up to Firefox 33 (October 2014). I’ll keep running more tests on different devices, and hopefully get this all implemented for the stable Prodigy v1.0.0.