Unable to install prodigy on win10

Hi,

I have been relentlessly trying to install prodigy on my windows 10, but its not working.

I get:
error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with “Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools”: http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools

I have installed the Visual C++ build tools; I have installed python 3.6, and 3.7 and tried with both versions. I had spacy previously installed through conda, which I have removed.

But nothing seems to work! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Vatsala

If you see that error message about the build tools, it definitely sounds like it can’t find them on your system. This is the build tools suite you installed, right? Alternatively, you could also try installing this one.

Sorry this is so frustrating – I always get confused by all that build tools stuff on Windows, too.
spaCy and all our other packages that spaCy depends on now come with wheels, so you won’t require a local compiler anymore. The only libraries that need to be compiled are other third-party dependencies.

If you still can’t get it to work on your machine, you can also try to install Prodigy’s dependencies from conda / via the wheels on this page and then install the Prodigy wheel with --no-deps. Here’s the full list of Prodigy’s dependencies:

spacy>=2.0.16,<2.1.0
thinc>=6.12.0,<6.13.0
hug>=2.4.1,<3.0.0
hug-middleware-cors>=1.0.0,<2.0.0
waitress>=1.0.2,<2.0.0
plac>=0.9.6,<1.0.0
ujson>=1.35,<2.0.0
toolz>=0.8.2,<=1.0.0
requests>=2.0.0,<3.0.0
peewee>=2.10.1,<3.0.0
mmh3>=2.4,<3.0
msgpack>=0.5.6,<1.0.0
msgpack-numpy<0.4.4.0
jsonschema>=2.6.0,<3.0.0
cachetools>=2.1.0
1 Like

Yes, I installed the build tools from here. Ok, I will try it installing the dependencies separately using conda. Thanks, Vatsala

Hi Ines,
I couldn’t find the wheels for mmh3 package on the page you suggested. Any other way to fix this? I already installed Visual Build Tools.

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

@NicoLoter You could try installing mmh3 from conda instead? This should definitely give you pre-built wheels :slightly_smiling_face:

No luck

Hmm, that sucks, looks like they don’t have Windows wheels for that package :disappointed:

And there’s no way you can somehow make your compiler work on Windows? What versions of Windows and Python are you on?

Windows 10 64 bits - Python 3.6.2

mmh3-2.5.1-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl.jsonl (14.3 KB)
mmh3-2.5.1-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl.jsonl (14.3 KB)

As a quick fix, I’ve just built two wheels for mmh3 on Windows, one for Python 3.6 and one for Python 3.7. Let me know if they don’t install.

I had to add a .jsonl file extension to get past the upload-type filter here — so remove the .jsonl extension when you save it. The filename should be mmh3-2.5.1-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

It works perfect! Thanks Matthew

1 Like