textcat.manual with --patterns argument

Hi--

Thanks for your great product. I'm wondering whether there are any plans to add a patterns function to the textcat.manual recipe. Is that at all in your development plans? Is the recommended approach presently just to write different patterns files for each label and pass over the data multiple times? I'm working with an exclusive multicategorical labelling project and it would be faster to be able to only pass through the data once. Are there any recommended workarounds and/or do you have any tips on writing a custom recipe to accomplish this use case? Thanks!

Hi! We definitely want to add patterns to the manual recipes, both for text classification and NER. The main difference here is that the matcher would have to match on the whole document at once and then use the matches accordingly. For NER, you'd want to be highlighting all spans with their labels, and for textcat, you probably want to highlight the spans, optionally the labels with the spans (so you can see which pattern each match refers to), and then also pre-populate the selected options ("accept") with the matched labels.

Here's a simple example of how to set up the matcher, assuming you're only using token patterns:

from spacy.matcher import Matcher
from collections import defaultdict
import srsly

patterns = srsly.load_jsonl("/path/to/patterns.jsonl")
patterns_by_label = defaultdict(list)
for pattern in patterns:
    patterns_by_label[pattern["label"]].append(pattern["pattern"])
matcher = Matcher(nlp.vocab)
for label, rules in patterns_by_label.items():
    matcher.add(label, *rules)

For more details on this, check out the spaCy documentation on rule-based matching.

In order to process each example with the matcher, you can process the texts with nlp.pipe and then apply the Matcher to each doc. You can then use the matches to create a list of "spans" consisting of the start and end character offsets, and a list of labels that were matched in the given example:

def get_stream_with_matches(stream):
    data_tuples = ((eg["text"], eg) for eg in stream)
    for doc, eg in nlp.pipe(data_tuples, as_tuples=True):
        spans = []   # matched spans
        matched_labels = set()  # all labels that were matched
        for match_id, start, end in matcher(doc):
            span = Span(doc, start, end, label=label)
            matched_labels.add(span.label_)
            spans.append({"start": span.start_char, "end": span.end_char, "label": span.label_})
        eg["spans"] = spans
        eg["accept"] = list(matched_labels)
        yield eg

(Disclaimer: Untested, but should work!)

Hi--thanks for the reply! I've tried implementing this solution, but have been unable to deploy prodigy. I keep running into a ValueError: Failed to load task (invalid JSON). error which causes my custom recipe to fail. Apols for the code dump, but I'm just going to share everything with you.

To briefly fill you in on the project, I'm trying to tag a bunch of twitter data in terms of whether the tweets evince one of three concepts, integrity, competence, and trust.

My custom recipe looks like this:

import spacy
from spacy.matcher import Matcher
from spacy.tokens import Span
from collections import defaultdict
import srsly

from prodigy.core import recipe, recipe_args
from prodigy.components.preprocess import add_label_options
from prodigy.components.loaders import get_stream
from prodigy.util import log

def get_stream_with_matches(stream,patterns,nlp):
    patterns = srsly.read_jsonl(patterns)
    for pattern in patterns:
        matcher.add(label, *rules)
            span = Span(doc, start, end, label=label)
            spans.append({"start": span.start_char, "end": span.end_char, "label": span.label_})
        eg["spans"] = spans
        yield eg

@recipe(
    "custom.textcat.manual",
    dataset=recipe_args["dataset"],
    spacy_model=recipe_args["spacy_model"],
    source=recipe_args["source"],
    api=recipe_args["api"],
    loader=recipe_args["loader"],
    label=recipe_args["label_set"],
    exclusive=recipe_args["exclusive"],
    exclude=recipe_args["exclude"],
    patterns=recipe_args['patterns']
)
def manual(
    dataset,
    spacy_model,
    source=None,
    api=None,
    loader=None,
    label=None,
    exclusive=False,
    exclude=None,
    patterns=None
):
    """
    Manually annotate categories that apply to a text. If more than one label
    is specified, categories are added as multiple choice options. If the
    --exclusive flag is set, categories become mutually exclusive, meaning that
    only one can be selected during annotation.
    """
    log("RECIPE: Starting recipe textcat.manual", locals())
    nlp = spacy.load(spacy_model)
    log("RECIPE: Loaded model {}".format(spacy_model))
    labels = label
    has_options = len(labels) > 1
    log("RECIPE: Annotating with {} labels".format(len(labels)), labels)
    stream = get_stream(
        source, api=api, loader=loader, rehash=True, dedup=True, input_key="text")
    stream = get_stream_with_matches(stream,patterns,nlp)
    if has_options:
        stream = add_label_options(stream, label)
    return {
        "view_id": "choice" if has_options else "classification",
        "dataset": dataset,
        "stream": stream,
        "exclude": exclude,
        "config": {
            "lang": nlp.lang,
            "labels": labels,
            "choice_style": "single" if exclusive else "multiple",
        },
    }

And my jsonl of patterns looks like this:

{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "commitment"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "confidence"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "trust"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "believe"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "trusting"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "truth"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "dependability"}]}
{"label": "TRUST", "pattern": [{"lower": "responsibility"}]}
{"label": "INTEGRITY", "pattern": [{"lower": "integrity"}]}
{"label": "INTEGRITY", "pattern": [{"lower": "reliability"}]}
{"label": "INTEGRITY", "pattern": [{"lower": "honesty"}]}
{"label": "COMPETENCE", "pattern": [{"lower": "competence"}]}
{"label": "COMPETENCE", "pattern": [{"lower": "capability"}]}

I call it as follows:
prodigy custom.textcat.manual trust en_core_web_sm --label INTEGRITY,TRUST,COMPETENCE -F custom_teach.py --patterns trust.jsonl.

Full error trace back is:

Exception when serving /get_session_questions
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/loaders.pyx", line 145, in prodigy.components.loaders.JSONL
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/srsly/_json_api.py", line 38, in json_loads
    return ujson.loads(data)
ValueError: Expected object or value

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/channel.py", line 336, in service
    task.service()
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/task.py", line 175, in service
    self.execute()
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/task.py", line 452, in execute
    app_iter = self.channel.server.application(env, start_response)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/api.py", line 451, in api_auto_instantiate
    return module.__hug_wsgi__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/falcon/api.py", line 244, in __call__
    responder(req, resp, **params)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 789, in __call__
    raise exception
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 762, in __call__
    self.render_content(self.call_function(input_parameters), context, request, response, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 698, in call_function
    return self.interface(**parameters)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 100, in __call__
    return __hug_internal_self._function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/prodigy/_api/hug_app.py", line 228, in get_session_questions
    tasks = controller.get_questions(session_id=session_id)
  File "cython_src/prodigy/core.pyx", line 130, in prodigy.core.Controller.get_questions
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/feeds.pyx", line 58, in prodigy.components.feeds.SharedFeed.get_questions
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/feeds.pyx", line 63, in prodigy.components.feeds.SharedFeed.get_next_batch
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/feeds.pyx", line 140, in prodigy.components.feeds.SessionFeed.get_session_stream
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/toolz/itertoolz.py", line 376, in first
    return next(iter(seq))
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/preprocess.pyx", line 237, in add_label_options
  File "custom_teach.py", line 30, in get_stream_with_matches
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 723, in pipe
    for doc, context in izip(docs, contexts):
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 751, in pipe
    for doc in docs:
  File "nn_parser.pyx", line 221, in pipe
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/util.py", line 463, in minibatch
    batch = list(itertools.islice(items, int(batch_size)))
  File "nn_parser.pyx", line 221, in pipe
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/util.py", line 463, in minibatch
  File "pipes.pyx", line 397, in pipe
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 726, in <genexpr>
    docs = (self.make_doc(text) for text in texts)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 715, in <genexpr>
    texts = (tc[0] for tc in text_context1)
  File "custom_teach.py", line 29, in <genexpr>
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/filters.pyx", line 35, in filter_duplicates
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/filters.pyx", line 16, in filter_empty
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/loaders.pyx", line 22, in _rehash_stream
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/loaders.pyx", line 152, in JSONL
ValueError: Failed to load task (invalid JSON).

I've played with reducing the number of labels in the patterns file to one, as well as loading it directly from within the custom recipe, etc., but the error persists. I guess I don't fully understand what the code is doing and it's hard to debug. Any help appreciated.

Ok, I have figured that out. I wasn't including the path to the dataset, but now I am running into the following error:

Exception when serving /get_session_questions
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/channel.py", line 336, in service
    task.service()
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/task.py", line 175, in service
    self.execute()
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/waitress/task.py", line 452, in execute
    app_iter = self.channel.server.application(env, start_response)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/api.py", line 451, in api_auto_instantiate
    return module.__hug_wsgi__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/falcon/api.py", line 244, in __call__
    responder(req, resp, **params)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 789, in __call__
    raise exception
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 762, in __call__
    self.render_content(self.call_function(input_parameters), context, request, response, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 698, in call_function
    return self.interface(**parameters)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hug/interface.py", line 100, in __call__
    return __hug_internal_self._function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/anaconda3/envs/prodigy/lib/python3.6/site-packages/prodigy/_api/hug_app.py", line 228, in get_session_questions
    tasks = controller.get_questions(session_id=session_id)
  File "cython_src/prodigy/core.pyx", line 130, in prodigy.core.Controller.get_questions
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/feeds.pyx", line 58, in prodigy.components.feeds.SharedFeed.get_questions
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/feeds.pyx", line 68, in prodigy.components.feeds.SharedFeed.get_next_batch
  File "cython_src/prodigy/components/preprocess.pyx", line 237, in add_label_options
  File "custom_teach.py", line 33, in get_stream_with_matches
  File "matcher.pyx", line 186, in spacy.matcher.matcher.Matcher.__call__
TypeError: 'list' object is not callable

any pointers?

Yeah, if you get anything along the lines of "Invalid JSON", it really usually means that the JSON is invalid. And ah, I think I forgot the second argument on matcher.add: instead of matcher.add(label, *rules), it should be matcher.add(label, None, *rules).

Ok, thanks so much. I've got it working with a little tweak. There was a bug in get_stream_with_matches() in that it always assigned the same label to each span, i.e. whichever the last label was in

matcher.add(label, None, *rules)

Fixed with the following:

def get_stream_with_matches(stream,patterns,nlp):
    patterns = srsly.read_jsonl('./seeds/multi_trust_seeds.jsonl')
    for pattern in patterns:
        matcher.add(label, None, *rules)
    span_to_label = {value[0]['lower']:label for label,subdict in patterns_by_label.items() for value in subdict}
            matched_label = span_to_label[doc[start:end].lemma_.lower()]
            span = Span(doc, start, end,label=matched_label)
        eg["spans"] = spans
        yield eg

I'm sure there's a more spacy-esque solution which I would be happy to hear if you have it. Calling .lower() on the span lemma is ugly, but with the tagger disabled maybe necessary. Let me know if you have any suggestions, and thanks:)

Glad you got it working! And I think there might be a simpler solution – the match_id (name of the matched pattern) is already the label, so the part where it creates the Span object should look like this (with label=match_id):

span = Span(doc, start, end, label=match_id)

I figured there was:) Thanks.