Rendering problem in secure Azure environment with IE

I am using prodigy within a secure Azure environment (no internet connection allowed) and puzzled by this behaviour:

I am using news_headlines.jsonl file for text classification. On the left (highlighted in red) you can actually see the original text, however it is not displayed properly in the main panel.

Do you have any ideas what may cause such behaviour? I can't fix it myself, but rather need to report to our IT admins and they should take care of it, but they are not experienced with Prodigy.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thanks for the report – that’s interesting :thinking: I only remember one case where a user had a similar problem in a secure environment (they were seeing a blank screen, though) and we tracked it down to a browser configuration. Switching to a different browser solved the problem.

Can you check the browser’s developer tools console and post the error you’re seeing? Also, do you have another browser you can try it with, for comparison?

Hi Ines, this is what I’ve been thinking of, but was not sure. For example, as a user of this secure platform, I can run jupyter notebook, but it displays a blank screen with jupyter lab, while my admin has no problem with both. I suspect that it might be very related.

It is windows OS on Azure platform. I am using IE as a browser. We don’t have any other browser at the moment, so I can’t really compare.

Can you give any pointers where we (with our IT admin) should be looking at? Should I ask to install another browser (chrome for example) or tweak something in the settings?

I can ask him to send me the error log from the browsers’ dev tool.

Thanks!

Okay, this sounds really similar to the other issue then. They were also using IE, and the console displayed "The attached page targets document mode 7. Some console APIs and features may not be available."

Apparently this is related to the compatibility settings for intranet sites, which explains why it only occurs in secure environments. This thread has a suggested fix, so you could forward that to your IT admin:

Alternatively, non-IE browsers don't seem to do this – so if it's possible for IT to install Chrome or Firefox for your user, I'm pretty sure this should solve it as well.