Prodigy License

I represent a team of data scientists at a healthcare organization. We are getting started on our first large scale NLP project and need some guidance on the licensing structure for prodigy. If we were to buy 5 licenses for our team does that mean 5 data scientists could all be running separate projects with different annotation schemes? We also do not annotate notes ourselves, we would have large teams of nurses and physicians doing the annotations. Would one license cover a data scientist starting a project and all of the different expert annotators? Or does each of the 5 licenses get taken up by our expert annotators?

Hi, thanks for the question and your interest in Prodigy!

Yes, that's correct. Since Prodigy is mostly a developer tool, the licenses are also per developer, i.e. the person running the Prodigy server and interacting with the Python library. The licenses are transferable within your organisation – so if one data scientist leaves (or is on holidays) and a new person takes over, they'll also be able to take over the license. Any data or models produced with Prodigy can obviously be accessed and used by anyone.

Annotators who only interact with the web application don't require a license. The only thing that's important is that the web application needs to be accessible only by the annotators – for example via a password-protected or internal URL. (But I assume this is no problem, since you're likely working with sensitive data anyways.)

I hope this answers your questions – let me know if there's anything else we can help with! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! This was very helpful. I was a beta user and we really like how easy Prodigy is to use.

@jeweinb Thanks so much – that’s nice to hear! Definitely keep us updated on how your project is going. The medical field is an especially exciting area for NLP at the moment, and we’re always keen to hear how Prodigy is used across different projects and domains!