Prodigy installation error - setup file not found

processing c:\users\bhargavi.eruva\downloads\prodigy-1.8.3-cp35.cp36.cp37-cp35m.cp36m.cp37m-win_amd64.zip
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: 'c:\apps\anaconda\python.exe' -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\Users\BHARGA~1.ERU\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-ojc23c6u\setup.py'"'"'; file='"'"'C:\Users\BHARGA~1.ERU\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-ojc23c6u\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(file);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, file, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base pip-egg-info
cwd: C:\Users\BHARGA~1.ERU\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-ojc23c6u
Complete output (5 lines):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 1, in
File "c:\apps\anaconda\lib\tokenize.py", line 447, in open
buffer = _builtin_open(filename, 'rb')
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\Users\BHARGA~1.ERU\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-ojc23c6u\setup.py'
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

Hi! This looks more like a problem with pip and conda and their interaction when using virtual environments. When it builds the wheel, it's looking in the wrong location for a setup.py.

This thread describes a very similar problem and it was solved by adding --no-cache-dir to pip install:

It still does not work for me and throws me the same error

Can you try a fresh non-conda environment?

[C:\Apps>pip install C:\Users\bhargavi.eruva\Downloads\prodigy-1.8.3-cp35.cp36.cp37-cp35m.cp36m.cp37m-win_amd64.zip --no-cache-dir
Processing c:\users\bhargavi.eruva\downloads\prodigy-1.8.3-cp35.cp36.cp37-cp35m.cp36m.cp37m-win_amd64.zip
    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: 'c:\apps\anaconda\python.exe' -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\BHARGA~1.ERU\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-req-build-8sbnuw6i\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\BHARGA~1.ERU\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-req-build-8sbnuw6i\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base pip-egg-info
         cwd: C:\Users\BHARGA~1.ERU\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-8sbnuw6i\
    Complete output (5 lines):
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "c:\apps\anaconda\lib\tokenize.py", line 447, in open
        buffer = _builtin_open(filename, 'rb')
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\BHARGA~1.ERU\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-req-build-8sbnuw6i\\setup.py'
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

Struck with same error again

Are you able to pip install other packages? Nothing in the error looks like it's coming from Prodigy --- it seems purely a matter of your environment.

The traceback shows that you're still executing pip from Anaconda. I'm sorry that this is hard, but it's a general Python thing (and honestly, I think it's Anaconda's fault for introducing a whole second system that breaks everything...).

If you create a new virtual environment, you should be able to execute pip from within it explicitly, for instance by running my-env/scripts/pip.exe. This should ensure that you're running the right version of pip.

yes, I am able to install other packages through pip. Do you suggest creating a new environment ?

That's what Ines recommended above, yes. In theory it shouldn't be necessary but it would help debug the problem.

Actually maybe this is simpler. Could you do pip --version? You might just need pip install --upgrade pip

It is 19.2.3

Other issues suggest it may be the version of setuptools? https://github.com/palantir/python-language-server/issues/370

I have checked that link and updated both pip and setuptools. However, no luck

I don't suppose you have a local directory named prodigy/ in your path?

yes I do not have it

Is there anything I can try out?

I've been looking around. Can you try just making a fresh virtual environment and installing from scratch? I don't know what's happened with your environment to make the error, there are lots of ways Python environments can get into bad states, especially because of the two installation systems.

Sure. will try doing that. Just one clarification, you want me to create this virtual environment not through anaconda right ?

If that's your only viable Python installation, then I guess, yes do that. If it's easy for you to use a normal Python virtualenv with something like:

python3 -m venv pgy-env
pgy-env\Scripts\pip.exe install C:\Users\bhargavi.eruva\Downloads\prodigy-1.8.3-cp35.cp36.cp37-cp35m.cp36m.cp37m-win_amd64.zip

That would be better.

I dont have access to create non conda virtual environments. Do you thing another environment through anconda will work?

It might, give it a try.