Super basic authentication

solved
(Andy Halterman) #1

I implemented very rudimentary simple HTTP authentication for Prodigy and wanted to share it with anyone who’s interested. I know this isn’t secure but it’s the best I could do with my minimal web skills. It would be great to have something like Jupyter’s token-based authentication some day.

At line 43 of app.py, add this:

authentication = hug.authentication.basic(hug.authentication.verify('annotator1', 'mypassword'))

@hug.static('/', requires = authentication)
def serve_static():
    # NB! This currently serves whole drive! Does nothing to prevent '../'
    return (str(Path(__file__).parent / 'static'),)

I used example code from the hug repo.

1 Like

User authentication for Prodigy web app
(Matthew Honnibal) #2

Thanks! Glad to hear this was easy.

0 Likes

(Motoki Wu) #3

Nice! Would be really useful if integrated inside Prodigy.

2 Likes

(Charles Schultz) #4

Sorry I feel like I am missing something. How would you apply this to the specific prodigy web app instance? Or are you suggesting modifying the Prodigy source code?

0 Likes

(Ines Montani) #5

Yes, Prodigy ships with the source for its app.py, so you can easily adapt it or see how it works and write a similar wrapper using Hug or a different library.

Since this thread was started, @andy has actually developed a super cool open-source extension for Prodigy that implements a multi-user setup plus various other features. You can find it here:

0 Likes

(Charles Schultz) #6

Aw that makes sense now. Thanks for the quick response! I’m going to give this a try :+1:

0 Likes

(Alik Hochner) #7

I applied @andy’s cool hug authentication but it doesn’t work.
I get this Oops, something went wrong :( error after entering the credentials.
I noticed on Chrome’s developer tools is that the call to /project fails with HTTP 401 with the following error message: {"errors":{"Invalid Authentication":"Provided api_jwt credentials were invalid"}}

Have I missed something?
Thanks

1 Like

(Justin Du Jardin) #8

@koAlech Hurray for authenticating users, and welcome!

We’ve begun integrating more full-featured authentication for Prodigy Scale, and the snippet you used conflicts with that code.

A workaround is to remove the occurrences of the string , requires=conditional_api_token from app.py.

This will remove your ability to use the PRODIGY_JWT_* environment variables, but if you want to use basic auth, that should be no problem.

edit: there’s a better fix below

0 Likes

"Yield Task" not yielding some tasks
(Alik Hochner) #9

@justindujardin Thanks for the warm welcome!
I’m kind of a newbie with prodigy but so far it’s just awesome!

Thanks for the workaround but that just authenticates /.
It makes the APIs accessible by anyone.

I guess my only option right now is going with ngrok …
Any other ideas?

0 Likes

(Justin Du Jardin) #10

Hah, you’re right, and I found a fix!

In app.py around line 43 there is an if statement that checks for the existence of an “Authorization” header value:

@authenticator
def api_jwt(request, response, verify_user, **kwargs):
    token = request.get_header("Authorization")
    bearer_prefix = "Bearer "
    if token:

Updating it to ensure that Authorization header is for a bearer token (and not basic auth) fixes the conflict without removing JWT support:

@authenticator
def api_jwt(request, response, verify_user, **kwargs):
    token = request.get_header("Authorization")
    bearer_prefix = "Bearer "
    if token and bearer_prefix in token:
1 Like

(Alejandro) #11

I was having authentication issues using ngrok, I suppose the basic authentication header used by ngrok conflicts with the JWT validation, I apply your suggested change and it works fine, thanks.

1 Like

(Alik Hochner) #12

I ended up creating a https proxy with basic authentication using nginx. Works great after this change!
The option of enabling basic authentication using hug is not a valid option for us as it only protects / and leaves the API calls publicly accessible.
Thanks for the help @justindujardin!

0 Likes