Prodigy academic licenses

Dear prodigy team,

my name is Thiemo and I am a researcher from the University of St.Gallen in Switzerland. Our research team is working with corpora in argumentation mining to build adaptive learning tools and we are currently building a new annotation scheme for which we would like to annotate a new corpora.

I tried to find the contact information for academic licenses, however, the links always forwarded me to Get Prodigy · Prodigy · An annotation tool for AI, Machine Learning & NLP.

How can I apply for the academic licenses with my research team, so that we can use prodigy to annotate a corpora with our annotation scheme?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best regards,

Thiemo

Hi Thiemo,

We've paused the academic license program currently, due to a high volume of requests from non-researchers. We do sometimes provide academic copies though. If you email us at contact@explosion.ai , I can give you the link to the sign up form.

1 Like

Hi! My name is Pilar Hidalgo and also I'm a Ph.D. student and I was looking for an academic license. I could write to you as well? thank you in advance.

@PilarHidalgo Yes, feel free to send us an email to contact@explosion.ai :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Ines, @ines
I'm also an active student and want to use Prodigy for a NLP research project.
I sent an email via my Academic account before a couple of days..

Is there a chance to start using Prodigy by this week? :crossed_fingers:

BTW, watched the youtube tutorial with the ingredients. It's awesome!

Hey,
I have read on FAQ3 that "Researchers at degree-granting academic institutions can apply for an interim license to use Prodigy for free in their research".

I would really like to and use Prodigy for an academic NLP research project (which include creation and annotation of a unique dataset).
It was not clear how to apply, so I sent an email through my academic account to contact@explosion.ai, but received not response yet..

Can you help me validate my request arrived and update me with the response?
Thanks in advance,
Eyal

Yes, I just checked and we received your email on the weekend. So you should hear back shortly :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok, I will wait. Thanks!!! :blush:

Hey guys @ines @honnibal ,

Just wanted to bump this thread. I sent a couple emails about a request for an academic license with academic verification and a description of the project. I'm sure you're inundated with higher priority emails and I know these licenses are only provided sporadically, but I suspect Prodigy could be a gamechanger for me so I thought I'd give this a crack.

Thanks so much for your time; really appreciate it.

-Bernie

Hi! I just did a quick search and I couldn't find any emails that look like they might have come from you :thinking: So I wonder if they maybe didn't come through or ended up in spam. Could you try again and email contact@explosion.ai?

Hi Ines,

No worries, I just sent another email. Thanks for the super-fast response!

Thanks again,
Bernie

1 Like

@ines I'm also a grad student looking to annotate data using Prodigy and I just sent an email to contact@explosion.ai. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Hi, I am Jiwon Kim, an active PhD student in political science. I am working on a NLP project that would greatly benefit from Prodigy. I have used other open-source programs but sentence-level annotation is not easy with those platforms.

I have sent an email to contact@explosion.ai four days ago, but I was wondering if academic license is still available, and if this is the right email address, since the thread is a year old. Could you please kindly confirm? Please also let me know if you need more description about the project, etc. Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Jiwon,

I checked internally and got the response that we tried to get back to you. Can you confirm that you didn't receive a message in your spam?

Hi! I am very sorry, it had indeed gone into my spam folder! Thank you so much for your message.

1 Like

Hi, I am Zhentao Liang, a PhD student in Information Science. I am working on an NLP project that involves active learning and I find Prodigy an ideal tool for this project. I would like to apply for an academic license of Prodigy. Could you help me with this?

I have just sent an email to contact@explosion.ai using my institution mail account. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you in advance!

Hi Team Prodigy,

My name is Matteo Lo Giudice, and I am a third-year undergraduate student in Computer Engineering at the University of Calabria, Italy. I am currently engaged in a thesis project under the guidance of an Associate Professor, focusing on training a Named Entity Recognition (NER) model using spaCy. Our goal is to identify keywords pertinent to Italian legislation, such as decrees, laws, and institutional names.

In my quest for the most effective tools, I have come across Prodigy, which I believe to be exemplary for Active Learning, particularly given the substantial volume of data we have gathered through web scraping. Utilizing Prodigy would not only significantly enhance the efficiency of our data annotation process but also contribute to a more robust training set for our NER model.

I understand from discussions on this forum that there is a possibility for students involved in experimental thesis projects to receive a license for Prodigy. For this reason, I tried to send an email but did not receive a response, likely due to the high volume of emails you receive. I appreciate your team’s time and effort in managing inquiries and would be grateful for any guidance you can provide regarding my request.

Finally, I would like to thank you very much for considering my request. I eagerly anticipate the prospect of incorporating Prodigy into our workflow, and I am excited about the potential enhancements it could contribute to our research efforts.

Warm regards,
Matteo Lo Giudice