jupyterlab version for prodigy extension

I'm trying to get the jupyterlab prodigy extension installed but am having some trouble finding the correct version of jupyterlab to use. First I installed jupyterlab==2.0.0, then when trying to install the labextension on jupyterlab version 2:

$ jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-prodigy
An error occured.
ValueError: No version of jupyterlab-prodigy could be found that is compatible with the current version of JupyterLab. However, it seems to support a new version of JupyterLab. Consider upgrading JupyterLab.

but with jupyterlab==3:

An error occured.
ValueError: The extension "jupyterlab-prodigy" does not yet support the current version of JupyterLab.

As a third attempt I tried jupyterlab==2.3.0:

Building jupyterlab assets (build:prod:minimize)
An error occured.
RuntimeError: JupyterLab failed to build

Is there a specific version of jupyterlab I should be installing? Or maybe the problem is something else altogether? Note that I can successfully install the extension on jupyterlab==1.0.0rc0, however this creates new conflicts between jupyter-server, jupyterlab and tornado.
Thank you for any advice.

1 Like

I'm using jupyter-lab 3.0.5 and also can't install the extension. I would highly appreciate a solution or workaround for the issue.

Hi!

What worked for me is

pip install jupyterlab==2.1.2
jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-prodigy

and this seems to have gone OK:

Building jupyterlab assets (build:prod:minimize)

From pip's output trying first with 2.0.0, I seem to understand that there would be conflicting dependencies between 2.00 and 2.1.2. I think this means that the Prodigy extension works for jupyterlab in the range >=2.1.2 and < 3.0.0.

[EDIT: but then from the post above it seems that also 2.3.0 didn't work. I'm not sure what the exact range is that works then. Likely it's only >=2.1.2 and < 2.3.0]

1 Like

I receive

jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-prodigy
An error occured.
ValueError: The extension "jupyterlab-prodigy" does not yet support the current version of JupyterLab.

Conflicting Dependencies:
JupyterLab Extension Package

=3.0.11 <3.1.0 >=2.1.2 <3.0.0 @jupyterlab/application
=3.0.9 <3.1.0 >=2.1.1 <3.0.0 @jupyterlab/apputils
=3.0.9 <3.1.0 >=2.1.1 <3.0.0 @jupyterlab/launcher
=3.0.6 <3.1.0 >=2.1.0 <3.0.0 @jupyterlab/settingregistry

would love to have this work for the newest JupyterLab.

What is your version of jupyterlab?

I believe it is 3.0.11

Ah, I'm afraid that won't work, as detailed in my original post above. Currently it looks like the extension only works in the interval jupyterlab >=2.1.2 and < 2.3.0.

We do plan on updating the tool sometime in the future though, to support the more recent versions!

2 Likes