Adding patterns to entity ruler in the loop

Hi,

I am doing NER annotation and the data I am annotating has a lot of recurring terms. I want to annotate these terms and then I want to update the entity ruler to include a pattern. I have two questions about this. Can I just call ruler.add_patterns(pattern) at the end of my custom recipe? Also, is this the best way to do this? Should I be doing a session with ner.manual and then another session with ner.correct or something like that?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi! You can definitely update your matcher/entity ruler within the recipe – you could do this in a custom recipe with an update callback that adds patterns for newly annotated terms so they're automatically highlighted in future batches. I actually outlined a very similar approach in this thread a while ago:

Depending on the data, you could also do this in two steps: annotate a (maybe random) selection of examples manually and then use a simple script that loads the annotations and creates match patterns from them.

1 Like

Thanks so much @ines - I'll give this ago! :smiley:

I'm fiddling with this at the moment, and one thing that would have been nice was if the PatternMatcher class had a to_disk method, similar to PhraseMatcher and EntityRuler. I'm just going to write a custom recipe that uses EntityRuler within the ner.manual interface which writes the patterns to disk on exit.

Hey @ines,

I've implemented a version of ner.manual that uses EntityRuler to highlight entities. I'm trying to update the EntityRuler in the update function with ruler.add_patterns to add patterns as they are being annotated. However while the EntityRuler seems to be updating (I can see the new entities in the patterns JSONL file being written out on exit), this is not being applied to the incoming examples. So the pattern exists in the EntityRuler but the when I call nlp(eg['text']) in my function that adds the spans to the incoming example, the nlp object isn't being updated.

I thought this might have been because the stream was being updated by a generator function, but I've done an experiment where I add patterns to a ruler and the generator is updated in place.

The batch_size is set to 1 in my prodigy.json file, so I know I'm only pulling one example at a time. I've an example dataset with the same word appearing in every example and I've been annotating that each example, hoping that in the next one it will be automatically pre-annotated but to no avail :upside_down_face:

I've added my code below - totally understand if you don't have time to look at this! I've just been stumped for the last few hours.

from typing import List, Optional, Union, Iterable
import spacy

from prodigy.components.preprocess import add_tokens
from prodigy.components.loaders import get_stream
from prodigy.core import recipe
from prodigy.util import log, split_string, get_labels
from prodigy.util import msg
from prodigy.types import TaskType, RecipeSettingsType

def remove_tokens(answers: List[TaskType]) -> List[TaskType]:
    """Remove token information from example before they're placed in the
    database. Used if character highlighting is enabled."""
    for eg in answers:
        del eg["tokens"]
        if "spans" in eg:
            for span in eg["spans"]:
                del span["token_start"]
                del span["token_end"]
    return answers

def add_ent_spans(nlp, stream):
    for eg in stream:
        doc = nlp(eg['text'])
        spans = [{"start": ent.start_char, "end": ent.end_char, "label": ent.label_} for ent in doc.ents]
        eg["spans"] = spans
        yield eg

@recipe(
    "ner.manual.dynamic",
    # fmt: off
    dataset=("Dataset to save annotations to", "positional", None, str),
    spacy_model=("Loadable spaCy pipeline for tokenization or blank:lang (e.g. blank:en)", "positional", None, str),
    source=("Data to annotate (file path or '-' to read from standard input)", "positional", None, str),
    loader=("Loader (guessed from file extension if not set)", "option", "lo", str),
    label=("Comma-separated label(s) to annotate or text file with one label per line", "option", "l", get_labels),
    patterns=("Path to match patterns file", "option", "pt", str),
    writepatterns=("File to write patterns to at end of session", "option", "wp", str),
    exclude=("Comma-separated list of dataset IDs whose annotations to exclude", "option", "e", split_string),
    highlight_chars=("Allow highlighting individual characters instead of tokens", "flag", "C", bool),
    # fmt: on
)
def manual(
    dataset: str,
    spacy_model: str,
    source: Union[str, Iterable[dict]],
    loader: Optional[str] = None,
    label: Optional[List[str]] = None,
    patterns: Optional[str] = None,
    writepatterns: Optional[str] = None,
    exclude: Optional[List[str]] = None,
    highlight_chars: bool = False,
) -> RecipeSettingsType:
    """
    Mark spans by token. Requires only a tokenizer and no entity recognizer,
    and doesn't do any active learning. If patterns are provided, their matches
    are highlighted in the example, if available. The recipe will present
    all examples in order, so even examples without matches are shown. If
    character highlighting is enabled, no "tokens" are saved to the database.
    Entities that are annotated will be added to the `EntityRuler` patterns 
    while you annotate, so recurring entities will be pre-annotated once they've 
    been annotated once. Patterns can be saved to a file with `writepatterns`.
    """
    log("RECIPE: Starting recipe ner.manual", locals())
    nlp = spacy.load(spacy_model)
    labels = label  # comma-separated list or path to text file
    if not labels:
        labels = nlp.pipe_labels.get("ner", [])
        if not labels:
            msg.fail("No --label argument set and no labels found in model", exits=1)
        msg.text(f"Using {len(labels)} labels from model: {', '.join(labels)}")
    log(f"RECIPE: Annotating with {len(labels)} labels", labels)
    stream = get_stream(
        source,
        loader=loader,
        rehash=True,
        dedup=True,
        input_key="text",
        is_binary=False,
    )
    if patterns is not None:
        ruler = nlp.add_pipe('entity_ruler').from_disk(patterns)
        stream = add_ent_spans(nlp, stream)

# Add "tokens" key to the tasks, either with words or characters
    stream = add_tokens(nlp, stream, use_chars=highlight_chars)

def update(answers):
        """ Add any new patterns to EntityRuler on update """
        patterns = [] 
        for eg in answers:
            for span in eg.get("spans", []):
                # Get the text of each annotated span given its offsets
                tokens = [t['text'] for t in eg['tokens'][span['token_start']:span['token_end']+1]]
                pattern = {'label': span['label'], 'pattern': [{'LOWER': t.lower()} for t in tokens]}
                log("Pattern looks like:")
                log(pattern)
                patterns.append(pattern)

new_patterns = [pat for pat in patterns if pat not in ruler.patterns]
        log("Adding patterns to EntityRuler")
        log(new_patterns)
        ruler.add_patterns(new_patterns)

def on_exit(controller):
        """ Write the PatternMatcher patterns to disk on exit """
        if writepatterns:
            ruler.to_disk(writepatterns)

return {
        "view_id": "ner_manual",
        "dataset": dataset,
        "stream": stream,
        "exclude": exclude,
        "before_db": remove_tokens if highlight_chars else None,
        "update": update,
        "on_exit": on_exit,
        "config": {
            "lang": nlp.lang,
            "labels": labels,
            "exclude_by": "input",
            "ner_manual_highlight_chars": highlight_chars,
            "auto_count_stream": True,
        },
    }

Sorry for only getting to this now! So just to make sure I understand this correctly, you've confirmed that patterns added to the EntityRuler via add_patterns are there, but not applied in subsequent calls of nlp()? If this is the case and you can reproduce it in an isolated example outside of Prodigy, that might actually be a bug in spaCy!

Hey @ines, yes exactly - patterns are being added to the EntityRuler via add_patterns but are not being applied in subsequent calls of nlp(). I'll try to reproduce this outside of Prodigy. I tried to last week, but it actually worked outside of Prodigy in a notebook, which is why I'm so stumped.