mismatched structure when using tranformers model to train textcat (en_core_web_trf)

I am using Ubuntu Linux version 20.14, Python 3.9, Prodigy 1.11.6, Spacy 3.2.0. I also downloaded the latest version of en_core_web_trf.

I created my model using prodigy the following command:

prodigy train ./output -tc verbatim_claims -es .20 --base-model en_core_web_trf --label-stats --verbose --gpu-id 0

Training runs well on my Nvidia RTX-3090 and the final output of the training run is:

759   19000           0.00          5.89       99.07  4894.11    0.99
800   20000           0.00          6.24       99.07  4889.38    0.99
✔ Saved pipeline to output directory
output/model-last

=========================== Textcat F (per label) ===========================

P       R       F
CLAIM      98.78   99.79   99.28
NO_CLAIM   99.74   98.44   99.08

======================== Textcat ROC AUC (per label) ========================

ROC AUC
CLAIM         1.00
NO_CLAIM      1.00

I attempt to load the model using:

nlp = spacy.load(name='./output/model-best')

It throws the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/pycharm-professional/260/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/pydevd.py", line 1483, in _exec
    pydev_imports.execfile(file, globals, locals)  # execute the script
  File "/snap/pycharm-professional/260/plugins/python/helpers/pydev/_pydev_imps/_pydev_execfile.py", line 18, in execfile
    exec(compile(contents+"\n", file, 'exec'), glob, loc)
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/main.py", line 161, in <module>
    nlp_claims = spacy.load(name="./verbatim_claims/output/model-last")
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/__init__.py", line 51, in load
    return util.load_model(
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/util.py", line 422, in load_model
    return load_model_from_path(Path(name), **kwargs)  # type: ignore[arg-type]
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/util.py", line 489, in load_model_from_path
    return nlp.from_disk(model_path, exclude=exclude, overrides=overrides)
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 2043, in from_disk
    util.from_disk(path, deserializers, exclude)  # type: ignore[arg-type]
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/util.py", line 1300, in from_disk
    reader(path / key)
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spacy/language.py", line 2037, in <lambda>
    deserializers[name] = lambda p, proc=proc: proc.from_disk(  # type: ignore[misc]
  File "spacy/pipeline/transition_parser.pyx", line 595, in spacy.pipeline.transition_parser.Parser.from_disk
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/thinc/model.py", line 593, in from_bytes
    return self.from_dict(msg)
  File "/.../ClaimsModel/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/thinc/model.py", line 610, in from_dict
    raise ValueError("Cannot deserialize model: mismatched structure")
ValueError: Cannot deserialize model: mismatched structure

I found some reports of this same problem, but it appeared that they had been resolved from the messages.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael Wade

Hi! Sorry you've been running into issues with this.

Which version of spacy-transformers do you have installed?

Hi,

I am using spacy-transformers 1.1.2 and spacy 3.2.0. I do have pytorch installed with cu113 support as well (torch 1.10.0+cu113)

FYI, I get a good model if I use the en_core_web_lg as the base model and I can categorize from that model w/o issue.

Thanks,

Michael Wade

I was able to resolve the issue with the training by re-installing spacy-transformers directly from github as follows:

pip install git+https://github.com/explosion/spacy-transformers

I built the model directly using spacy (not prodigy) and I was not able to successfully load the model and use it.

Hi! Happy to hear the issue got resolved by reinstalling.

I built the model directly using spacy (not prodigy) and I was not able to successfully load the model and use it.

Can you elaborate a bit further? Was the model you're trying to load built with the same environment? If not, can you summarize the versions (of spacy & spacy-transformers) you used to build it with, and the version you're trying to load it with? What is the error this is being given?

Hi,@Wade, thanks for your message. I got a question that how did you add the metrics like P, R, F, ROC, and AUC in your output? Should I revise the recipe of the train? Sorry, I am new to Prodigy. Thanks!