[Errno 99] error while attempting to bind on address ('::1', 8080, 0, 0): cannot assign requested address

I'm a newbie to Prodigy. I successfully installed prodigy using 'pip install' and was following the tutorial to run the 'prodigy ner.manual ner_news blank:en news_headlines.jsonl --label PERSON,ORG,PRODUCT,LOCATION'

However, I got the error [Errno 99] error while attempting to bind on address ('::1', 8080, 0, 0): cannot assign requested address

Hi! This error typically measns that there's already something else running on localhost:8080 – maybe your Jupyter notebook, maybe an old Prodigy server, maybe something else.

If you don't know what it is, you can try find it and kill the process (see here for how to do it, depending on your operating system). Alternatively, you can also run Prodigy on a different port that's free, by setting the environment variable PRODIGY_PORT, for instance PRODIGY_PORT=9000 (there's also a magic command for setting env variables in notebooks).

(Found this page from Google)

Running inside a docker container PRODIGY_HOST=0.0.0.0 PRODIGY_PORT=8080 did the trick for me

1 Like