Accessing prodigy from outside

Hi,I m a beginner to Prodigy setup and I am trying to setup for comparing two images and labelling them. The basic setup is accessible via localhost port 8080 when from outside the host server on which this was setup it is inaccessible. I would like to know how I can configure the setup so that outside labellers can access the database for labelling. Your help is highly appreciated.

Hi! By default, Prodigy will start up on your local host, so that’s only going to be available on your local machine. If you want others to be able to access it, you can run it on a server – how you do this depends on your requirements, how sensitive the data is (e.g. whether you can send it over the internet or whether it needs to stay within your company network) and so on.

If you’re just starting out, the easiest way to do this would be to use ngrok: https://ngrok.com

It makes whatever you serve locally available over a public URL, so you can keep running Prodigy on your own machine. The basic service is free (!) and if you create an account, you can even set up user authentication with a username/password.

Hi Ines,

I have basically the same problem as stated above. (accessing prodigy from the internet).
You suggest ngrok.com as a solution. Is this a trusted solution that you can recommend? It is a closed-source, free tool that provides encrypted tunnels which can be a yellow flag.

Is it possible for prodigy to listen on a HTTPS port instead of HTTP so that we could set up a auth mechanism and encrypt the communication instead?

Kind regards,

Dirk

Ah, I'm not really suggesting ngrok as a "solution" – it's just a handy tool that makes it easy to try things locally and quickly mirror your localhost. It's the quickest way to get started and it's a popular tool with a premium plan that includes encryption – I haven't heard anything negative about it.

Yes, you should be able to set that up with a reverse proxy – also see here:

1 Like